Frequently Asked Questions for our eBook Catalog
1. What kinds of eBooks does the library have?
Library eBooks include fiction, non-fiction, bestsellers, mysteries, romance, science fiction, children’s books, cookbooks, and more.
2. How do I find and access eBooks?
See eBook Quick Start Guide
under Hot Links on our homepage.
3. Which devices can I use with library eBooks?
You can read eBooks on many types of devices such as eReaders, tablets, smartphones, laptops, and computers. For your device to work, it must support either the Blio app or ePub app. The ePub app can appears as Adobe Digital Editions(ADE) or Bluefire Reader depending on the device. Please note, Kindle currently will NOT work with library eBooks. Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD WILL work.
Blio supported devices
Adobe Digital Editions (ePub) supported devices
4. What software do I need? How can I install it on my device?
You first need a web browser (Firefox, Chrome, Internet Explorer, Safari) to access the internet in order to download the apps and access our eBook Catalog on our website.
Then you need a free eReader app (software) such as Blio or ADE/Bluefire Reader for ePub.
Instructions for downloading Blio.
Instructions for downloading Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) (Even if you have Adobe Reader already on your device, you still need to download ADE since ADE PDF files are different than Adobe Reader PDF files.
5. How can I checkout an ePub eBook to my eReader such as Nook, Sony and Kobo?
Refer to the ePub help document
on how to check out an ePub library book and read it on your eReader. (Note: Axis 360 is our eBook catalog website)
6. I need help transferring eBooks to my Nook.
See the following Nook help documents:
Transferring Titles from ADE's ePub to a Nook
ADE will not recognize my Nook
Nook Transfer Error
7. How can I remove expired book covers from my Kindle Fire?
1. In your Blio library, go to the list view (bottom center of page)
2. Touch the cover of the expired title; if you touch it quickly you will see Library Book, lending period has expired, touch cancel and then touch the book with a little more pressure; you will see a pop up that says (book info, buy full book, share book details, refresh book cover and then if you slide the bar to the left, you will see delete book)
3. Touch "Delete Book".
4. Choose "Yes" when you see "Are you sure?".
8. How can I load library eBooks on my Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD tablet?
See Blio Kindle Fire directions
See Blio Kindle Fire HD directions
9. Will Kindle eReaders work with library eBooks?
No. Amazon requires users to go through their website to load a book checked out from the library onto a Kindle. However publishers' agreements with our vendor do not authorize this sort of third party involvement.
10. How long can I check out eBooks for?
Library eBooks check out for a maximum of 21 days. Titles cannot be renewed. After the title has been removed from your device, you can check it out again if there are no holds on it.
11. Can I return eBooks before they are due?
Not with Blio. But you can with ePub by ADE. Tip: experiment, each device is a little different.
12. Can I check out an eBook for LESS than 21 days?
Yes. To do this, find an eBook you want to check out, then click "Add to Checkout List". Do NOT click "Checkout Now". Then, click the "My Checkout List" link in the top right corner of the screen. Adjust the number of days you want to check the book out for using the blue slider. Then click "Confirm Checkout" at the bottom of the screen.
13. Can I place holds?
Yes. Holds must be placed through our eBook Catalog’s Magic Wall
. You will receive an email notice when an eBook is available.
14. Is there a limit to the number of eBooks I can check out at any one time?
There is a limit of 3 eBooks per library card. Each eBook may be checked out for a maximum of 21 days.
15. Can I download eBooks to public computers in my library?
No. Library eBooks are designed to be downloaded to personal devices.
16. When I check out eBooks, do they appear on my library account with the other items I have checked out?
No. You will need to log in to your app to see the status of your digital check-outs from these services. We wish they were integrated, but for now they're not. We'll keep working on it!
17. I forgot my login information for the eBook Catalog. Can you help me?
Yes. Call the library and we can help you with your card number and PIN.
18. I forgot my login information for my apps. Can you help me?
No. Library staff cannot access your Blio or ePub information. See Blio Support Center
and ADE support for ePub
19. Why does the library have two different catalogs, one for regular books and one for eBooks?
The library cannot legally buy eBooks directly from companies (like Amazon or Barnes & Noble) and then loan that copy out to you. Libraries must purchase and loan special library-licensed versions of these titles through companies that specialize in working with libraries. These companies have their own websites where eBooks are located.
20. Why aren't there more eBooks?
Some bestselling titles are not available because those publishers are not licensing their content to libraries. Libraries are working to change how copyright law, end-user license agreements, and digital rights management protections are applied to digital copies. This would make it easier for you to access what you want from the library on the device you choose.
21. Are there any other places I can get free eBooks besides the library?
See our eBooks and Audiobooks
page for a list of free eBook websites. Both Amazon(Kindle) and Barnes & Noble( Nook) offer some free eBooks to their respective users.
22. Help me! I'm stuck and need more assistance.
For help with Blio, visit Blio Support
or read the Guided Tour
For help with ePub from ADE, visit the Adobe support pages
For help with our eBook Catalog, visit our eBook Catalog's Magic Wall
, click the "help" button on the top left, then click "Go to Main Help Menu".
If you get stuck, call us at 574-825-5601.
Based on information provided by the Porter County Public Library System