The mission of the Middlebury Community Public Library is to provide a comprehensive service for education, information, culture and recreation for citizens of all ages, through its collections, programs and special services.
The Middlebury Community Library will provide access to electronic information systems as is sufficient to fulfill its mission. The Internet and its available resources contain a wide variety of material and opinions from varied points of view. Many sites contain material that is inaccurate, defamatory; illegal or offensive to some people. Because it is technically impossible to prevent access to all objectionable resources, it is the responsibility of parents and guardians to monitor and guide their own children in the use of the internet.
While using computer and Internet services provided by the Middlebury Community Public Library, persons of all ages shall:
- Not access, transmit, upload, download, or distribute material or language that is pornographic, abusive, sexually explicit, obscene, child pornography, harmful to minors, or otherwise inappropriate for a public library setting;
- Not engage in any illegal activities on the internet;
- Not vandalize, damage, or disable the property of another individual or organization;
- Not violate or otherwise use intellectual property of another individual organization without permission;
- Not engage in hacking or attempts to otherwise compromise any computer or network system;
- Use electronic mail, chat and forms of non-chat electronic communications only for purposes appropriate in a public library setting.
In addition, minors (any person younger than 18 years of age) shall:
- Not use the Internet without signed (in the presence of library staff) permission from a parent or guardian; and
- Not disclose personal identification information on the Internet.
Impeding a system's use through monopolization or unreasonable consumption of system resources is prohibited.
- An individual has up to one (1) hour use if others are waiting.
- The library does not provide e-mail accounts.
- Library staff will assist patrons with computer use when possible.
Inappropriate use of library-provided computer and Internet services, as determined by the library, will result in the loss of access to computer and Internet services, expulsion from the library, or other disciplinary action. First offense will result in loss of computer privileges for six months. Second offense will result in loss of computer privileges for an additional six months. Library computer privileges will be permanently denied should a third offense occur.
The Middlebury Community Public Library makes no warranties of any kind, neither expressed nor implied, for the Internet access it is providing. The library is not responsible for the accuracy, or the quality of information gathered through library-provided Internet access.
In consideration of the Library providing patrons with access to the Internet, patrons agree to hold the library harmless and agree to indemnify the library from any and all liability stemming from patrons use of library's workstations and internet use.
The Library reserves the right to set rules, as needed, for these systems and their use.
Adopted April 1, 1999
Revised April 13, 2000
Revised May 2001
Revised July 11, 2002
Reviewed August 14, 2003
Revised January 10, 2013